Sunday, May 3, 2009

Taco Chicken with Avocado and Corn Salsa

I swear to god I really do cook more than mexican, tex-mex, and southwestern type food! But I do love it! It is one of my favorite types of food, the flavors are always so bold and interesting.

Anyway, here we have a really easy to put together supper using some packaged ingredients like taco seasoning mix and canned corn, and also some fresh ingredients like avocado and lime for some really delicious and fresh flavors. This recipe comes to me from the Betty Crocker Quick & Easy cookbook, which is one of my ultimate favorite cookbooks for weekday suppers.

You will need:

1 envelope taco seasoning mix (1 1/2 ounces)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lbs)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 can Mexicorn (11 ounces)
1 medium avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 teaspoon honey

1) Reserve 2 teaspoons of the taco seasoning mix in a medium bowl. Coat chicken with the remaining taco seasoning mix.

2) Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken in oil 3-5 minutes, turning once until brown. Reduce heat to med low, cook about 8 minutes, turning once, until chicken is no longer pink when centers of the thickest pieces are cut.

3) While the chicken is cooking, add the remaining ingredients to the reserved taco seasoning mix; toss gently. Serve salsa with chicken.

Verdict: The chicken in the taco seasoning mix was a complete hit! I will make this again and again just by itself, and all you need is a package of chicken and the envelope of seasoning. I served this with white rice but it would also be great with spanish rice or even rice pilaf. The salsa was delicious, I plopped tons of it right on top of my chicken. My younger daughter and my hubby didn't touch the salsa with a ten foot pole. My older daughter made me pick the avocado pieces out and just ate the corn part (which had all the other ingredients slopped onto it anyway - ha ha). So the salsa may not be for those with more unadventurous palates, or people that don't like avocado. But definitely try it! This is a delicious, fast, fresh, and light dinner that is going in my recipe box.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...