Saturday, April 11, 2009

Delicious Herb Biscuits

My family really likes to have a side with their dinner. I usually always try to have at least one side, if not two (typically a carb and a veg).

However, when I am making a casserole or one-pot type dish, something that already includes pasta, or potatoes, or a biscuit topping, I feel like an additional carb-type side dish is a bit overkill. But my husband (who never met a carb he didn't like) and my kids still expect a side dish. So if I am making Shepherd's Pie, or Lasagna, they still want a side on their plate. A casserole AND a side? Hoo boy. Sounds like a lot of work. The solution - bread.

Most of the time if I am making a casserole or one-pot dish the easiest thing is to get bread or rolls at the supermarket. A loaf of fresh baked Italian bread or sourdough is always a big hit, as are a package of snowflake rolls. It's fresh baked that day, so it's as good as a bakery if you ask me, you really can't go wrong.

But if I don't happen to have any bakery bread on hand, it is super easy to make up some home made biscuits. Biscuits are perfect to serve with a casserole, it doesn't feel like carb overkill and they are comfort food, just like casseroles! A perfect complement. Here is a very easy recipe that you can whip up while your dish is cooking.

2 cups of biscuit mix (like Bisquick)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried basil

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine the biscuit mix, milk and cheese until a soft dough forms. Beat vigorously for 30 seconds. Drop by heaping tablespoons onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

Combine basil and garlic powder with melted butter and brush over hot biscuits after removing from oven. Makes 12 biscuits.

These take minutes to make and are fabulous. Also this recipe is easy to make in half if you only want 6 biscuits, I do it that way all the time. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...