Wednesday, June 2, 2010

You really can make your own brown sugar


I have seen this around a few times - how to make your own brown sugar, you know for in the event that you run out of brown sugar. I thought it seemed kind of silly - in what dire instance will I have no brown sugar in the house? Isn't brown sugar one of those pantry staples? I always have a box of light and a box of dark on hand, being the super prepared and organized domestic homekeeper that I am. Until it happened to me. I did so much baking that I really did run out, I had maybe 1/4 of a cup of dark brown sugar left, and also it was a brick, so I guess I was not properly storing it to boot.

A quick search online turned up this easy formula:

1 cup granulated cane sugar

1 Tablespoon unsulfured molasses

Mix together well, making sure it is totally combined, no molasses blobs or clumps.

Great! Super easy. All you have to do is make sure that the super organized domestic you does not also run out of regular white sugar at the same time. ;)
If you want darker brown sugar, then add another teaspoon of molasses for a total of 2 teaspoons.

Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...