Monday, August 31, 2009

Chicken Bone

Tonight I made a fabulous meal for my girls that they loved - baked chicken drumsticks. Yum!

I first figured out that my kids like to eat drumsticks when I started buying the supermarket pre-cooked rotisserie chickens. When I make chicken I usually only cook boneless skinless breasts, so when I get the rotisserie chicken they love the novelty of being able to hold the chicken bone and eat with their hands.

This week I bought a 3 lb package of drumsticks only (on sale!) and I figured I would make my girls their favorite chicken bones for dinner. I used half the package (about 6 drumsticks) and froze the other half. I love buying in bulk - stockpiles!

The meal was a huge hit - the chicken tasted great and was nice and crispy. I served corn on the cob and baked beans with it. The girls cleaned their drumsticks down to the bone and their corn right down to the cob. That's the type of eating I love to see!


You will need:
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2/3 cup Original Bisquick mix
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cut-up whole chicken (3 - 3 1/2 lbs)

1) Heat oven to 425 degrees. Melt butter in 13x9 inch glass baking dish in the oven.
2) In a medium bowl, stir together Bisquick mix, paprika, garlic salt, Italian seasoning and pepper; coat chicken with Bisquick mixture. Place skin side down in heated dish.
3) Bake 35 minutes. Turn chicken, bake about 15 minutes longer or until juice of chicken runs clear when the thickest part is cut to bone (170 degrees for breasts, 180 degrees for thighs and drumsticks).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...