Monday, March 23, 2009

Cookbook Review - Trisha Yearwood


Trisha Yearwood - Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen

I received this cookbook as a Christmas gift from my hubby. I was pretty excited to get this book, I thumbed through it quickly in the bookstore and it seemed like the kind of family-appealing cookbook that I am always looking for.

There is lots to choose form in this cookbook, a nice assortment of soups, salads, main courses, sides, breads and muffins, and of course, desserts. The cookbook showcases family photos of Trisha's extended family, plus anecdotes from Trish, her sister, and her mother. It definitely feels like these are authentic "Mom's recipes" that we all remember having as kids. There are a lot of basics like fried chicken and meatloaf, perfect family crowd-pleasing meals. Also included are some southern specialties like fried okra, hush puppies, and sweet pickles.

Some of my favorites from this cookbook so far include the chicken pie and the brownies. The chicken pie is just delicious, tons of chicken and a buttermilk biscuit-like topping, no veggies. Yum. The brownies came out perfect, the recipe calls for nuts but I made them without and they were still fantastic. I also liked the spaghetti sauce (from a southern cookbook - go figure!). There are still lots more recipes in this book I am looking forward to trying.

My only complaint about this cookbook is it is in a book bound format, and I prefer a spiral for cookbooks, so they can lie flat. But overall I love it, this cookbook is definitely an asset to my collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...